converting windows live mail contacts to npopuk format

converting windows live mail contacts to npopuk format

Chris2var
This post was updated on .
Hope this is useful for others ....
First off you would have to combine all of your contacts, as WLM has them all over the place, hence the reason I've decided to move it all to npopuk. combine them all into your contacts folder, I done this by cut and paste, but I was changing from windows mail to WLM, so what I done maybe different to what you might have to do to get to this stage. Anyway once the above is done ...
In windows live mail go to contact (lower left of main page) then export the name and email fields as csv
then import into excel (or free equiv)
add columns before and after the name column and copy " marks into these
add columns before and after email address column and copy < and > into relevant columns
I'll assume you now have a " in A1 for the following instructions.
click in G1 then write the following in the formula bar
=A1&B1&c1 do not press enter or the click the tick (as all you will get is what you just typed!)
just click G1 then G2 back to G1 and you should then see "name" in G1
copy this down column and you will have all your e-mail contact names within double quotes.
click on H1 then write the following in the formula bar
=D1&E1&f1 again do not press enter or use the tick on the formula bar just
click in H1 then H2,  back to H1 and copy down column
once this is done copy only the G1 and H1 data and paste this into a new sheet
from there you can
export as a.csv file (here excel throws a spanner in the works) not sure if free
version would as well.
because excel decides to add double quotes to double quotes and comma's ...
open .csv in word pad or equiv and use find and replace to change all the
triple double quotes (as they now are) into single double quotes (sounds weird I know)
DO NOT under any circumstances use word as the editor as the find and replace changes
the double quotes to "different" double quotes ... that had me fooled for a while.
then you can just cut and paste this into the address.lst file. Phew well it worked for me
I'm going to copy all my storage folders to npopuk now. Best way I think for that is to copy all the docs from each storage folder in turn back to a hotmail account, open with npopuk and copy into storage folders there.

Yours
Chris J

ADD ON
I found for some reason that there was a  comma separator and this was stopping the message being sent (incorrect address or something like that was the message), so I again edited the address.lst in wordpad doing a replace of the comma with a space, this seemed to work. As I've now tested sending new e-mails and replying to emails and they are all ok.

After all that I have now removed windows live mail from my PC and only use npopuk now.

Yours
Chris J

Re: converting windows live mail contacts to npopuk format

Glenn@nPOPuk
Administrator
Hi Chris,

Interesting machinations you went through to do the address book conversion.  The nPOPuk Address.lst file is pretty simple, but the files that get exported from other programs can be pretty complex.

We're doing a bit of prototyping work using Python right now, to see what it would take to provide some sort of conversion from various CSV files exported by other email clients, and convert them to Address.lst format.  Of course, there are a lot of other CSV file formats, made more complex when you realize that the headers in the CSV files vary from language to language, as well as from email client to email client! So either I would need a sample CSV file from language and email client (hard to accumulate), or I would need the user to help with the process of selection which columns to extract... the latter technique seemed easier, and is what I am currently experimenting with.  Once the columns are chosen, the conversion, by python program, is fairly straightforward... combine first and last name columns, and the email column, and put it in the right format for Address.lst.

For some people, coexistance with other email clients on other platforms or machines is a required, ongoing task, and the conversion needs to be done frequently, from the master copy (in whatever format and client) to nPOPuk format... and maybe to other formats also, but we're focusing on the conversion to nPOPuk format.

Your process is a bit complex, although I've done conversions using similarly complex techniques myself! It is fine when you only do it once, but gets a bit cumbersome to repeat on a regular basis... hence my coding of a Python script.  Python is a much bigger download than nPOPuk, so it doesn't make for a very good prerequisite for using nPOPuk, for a one-time conversion; it is a bit more reasonable (but still large), if the intention is to use it regularly.

You mentioned an issues with comma, and there are two "problems" with commas... they are used in CSV files to separate data items, so use within a data item must be quoted; further, they are used to separate email addresses in the To: Cc: and Bcc: mail headers... so any use within the email "display name" must be quoted.  Of course, quoting them in the display name, means even more quotes in a CSV file containing display names!

The Address.lst file is actually a Tab Separated Values file, avoiding the quote problem and the comma problem.  So legal entries for the first column of the Address.lst file might be:

Firstname Lastname <email@ddress>
"Lastname, Firstname" <email@ddress>
<email@ddress>

Any items outside the <email@ddress> may not contain commas that are not inside of plain quotation marks. (Not smart quotes, as you discovered.)

Re: converting windows live mail contacts to npopuk format

Chris2var
Hi,

I found a slightly easier way of converting now. So again as you say it's ok for a one off but not if you have to keep the other e-mail clients as well, I don't know anything about python so I'll just add the revised version just in case anybody else just wants to do a one off for now ...

in windows live mail go to contact (lower left of main page)
then export the name and email fields as csv
import into excel (or free equiliv)
add column before and after name column and copy " marks into these
add column before and after email address and copy < and > into relevent columns
I'll assume you now have a " in A1 for the following instructions.
click in G1 then write the following in the formula bar
=A1&B1&c1 do not press enter or the click the tick (as all you will get is what you just typed!)
just click G1 then G2 back to G1 and you shold then see "name" in G1
copy this down column and you will have all your e-mail contact names within double quotes.
click on H1 then write the following in the formula bar
=D1&E1&f1 again do not press enter or use the tick on the formula bar just
click in H1 then H2,  back to H1 and copy down column
once this is done copy only the G1 and H1 data and paste this into a new sheet
from there you can
export as formated txt which is space deliminated .... and that can be opened in notepad or equivalent then cut and pasted into  address.lst

Looking at your post, I could have skipped the adding of the " quote marks as well.

I suppose maybe all you would really have to do in python (like I say I know nothing about it) then is to find a space either side of the @ and add the < and > and export as space deliminated ?