Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

guest
In the main window, we can delete attachments but can't save attachments.
I suggest add a command to the "Mail" menu and the context menu of Mail List in the Main Window to open the "Save Attachments" dialog of the selected mail. And download the attachments if they are not downloaded yet.

Further improvement (but not necessary):
When multiple mails are selected and filenames of attachments collide, auto renaming or allow renaming attachments in the "Save Attachments" dialog.

Re: Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

Geoffrey
Administrator
That's an interesting suggestion, but I don't see it being used very frequently.

The "delete attachments" command was added to the Mail menu in the main window so that one could easily cut down the size of the mailbox on disk by deleting the attachments in all messages in one go.

Re: Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

fromatoz
+ 1 for the suggestion to add the "save attachment(s)" option.

I would be a happy user of this :-)

because there are times when i just want to save the attachement(s) but without downloading the mail. would be a great time-saver!

I'm using npopuk for ages now and would definitely LOVE this option.

Thank you.

Re: Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

Geoffrey
Administrator
> i just want to save the attachement(s) but without downloading the mail

I don't think this would work the way you think it would. You would need to download the entire message to get the attachments, because attachments are encoded as part of the "body" of the message -- using POP3, at least, there is no way to download just the attachments without the message. Further, if you could, it's likely that the message text is a few kB and the attachments are MB, so you wouldn't save much time at all, as far as downloading the data from the server.

Have you looked at the source of a message using "view source"? I just did that to copy out these lines:

------=_Part_379313_619860051.1577276488220

The top three lines are headers, then there's a blank line that separates headers from the body, and then the "body" is the rest, and each "part" or "attachment" has the separator specified by the "boundary" -- but it's all "body" as far as the server knows.

Re: Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

fromatoz
thanks for your answer. and sorry for my posting to be unclear and misleading.

to download the whole e-mail *within* npop is perfectly fine for me.

but it would be great to right click the mail and then be able to choose "save attachments" (as an addition to "delete attachments", as the op said).

i am using npop as a pre-view mail-client. mails that are of no interest i delete on the spot and don't download them to my main (local) mail application (which is "Becky!", a japanese piece of software).

in many cases i receive e-mails where the important part is not the text in the body of the mail but the attachment. so i'd prefer to be able to save the attachment and then delete the mail.

wouldn't that be possible?

thank you!

Re: Feature suggestion: Save attachments from the main window.

fromatoz
now i see that it's actually possible to save an attachment - just not in the main window.
double clicking an email opens the "mail view" window, then click > View > Save attach(ment).
didn't know that ... but yes, why not offer the option in the main window too? would be cool & convenient.
thank you.